Here’s the latest on hantavirus in Los Angeles:
-
LA County public health officials say there is no imminent local threat and no confirmed locally acquired cases linked to the Andes hantavirus outbreak as of early May 2026. They emphasize that the risk to residents is very low and that most exposures were associated with a cruise ship outbreak and travelers returning from affected areas. [Patch: No Increased Risk Of Contracting Deadly Hantavirus In LA, Health Department Says][KESQ: CA health officials: No imminent local threat from hantavirus outbreak]
-
The outbreak has been tied to the MV Hondius cruise ship, with several confirmed deaths linked to hantavirus infections among travelers who disembarked or were aboard the ship. California health authorities were coordinating with federal and local partners to monitor returning travelers and assess any potential local exposure, but indicate there is currently no evidence that passengers from the ship who disembarked in California caused local transmission. [Patch: No Increased Risk Of Contracting Deadly Hantavirus In LA, Health Department Says][KESQ: CA health officials: No imminent local threat]
-
Some outlets reported that a small number of California residents were aboard the cruise and had exposure events, but public health officials have not disclosed residences and reiterate that the overall risk to the general public in California remains low. The World Health Organization notes that hantavirus transmission is typically non-human (rodent exposure), though the Andes strain raises concerns about human-to-human transmission; however, global risk is still considered low. [Patch: No Increased Risk Of Contracting Deadly Hantavirus In LA, Health Department Says][WHO statement reference in Patch]
-
In Southern California, local stations have reported ongoing monitoring of exposed individuals (including a few residents potentially exposed or under observation), with authorities stressing that this is a precautionary public health measure and not indicative of widespread spread in the LA area. [KESQ summary][Fox LA coverage]
If you’d like, I can:
- pull the very latest local statements from LA County Public Health or CDPH and summarize any new developments.
- provide a quick one-page briefing with key dates, affected vessels, and who’s at risk.
- set up alerts for new updates on hantavirus in Los Angeles.
Sources
LOS ANGELES (KESQ) - Four California residents who were possibly exposed to the deadly hantavirus outbreak linked to a cruise ship were being monitored, state health officials said today, while emphasizing the risk to the general public remains extremely low. State Public Health Officer Erica Pan, director of the California Department of Public Health, said
kesq.comMono County, in the Mammoth Lakes area, reported three deaths related to hantavirus. Here's what Los Angeles County residents should know about the virus.
www.latimes.comFour Californians were identified as having been exposed to the Andes strain of hantavirus linked to the MV Hondius cruise‑ship outbreak and are under monitoring or quarantine, officials said.
www.foxla.comLOS ANGELES (KESQ) - At least one California resident was aboard a cruise ship that has been stricken by a deadly hantavirus outbreak, but has since disembarked, but Southern California health officials today were downplaying any local risk of infection or exposure. So far, three people are confirmed to have died from the hantavirus outbreak
kesq.comThe Los Angeles County Department of Public Health Friday was monitoring a deadly hantavirus outbreak linked to a cruise ship.
patch.comThe Los Angeles County Department of Public Health Friday was monitoring a deadly hantavirus outbreak linked to a cruise ship.
patch.com